Monday, January 27, 2014

How to Find a Classy Gift For Someone Who Has Darn Near Everything

Some people are really hard to buy for. You want to get them a really nice gift that they will appreciate. Yet, they already have practically everything they appear to want or need. What do you do in this case? You read this article.

I recently had a similar scenario with a girl who I have been friends with for many years. We get together for the holidays every year. We typically exchange gifts. She is one of those people who is really hard to buy for. She makes a lot more money than I do. She seems to already have everything that she really wants. So, I was really torn about what to get for her this year. Here is how I figured it out.

Her and I go back a long ways. We kind of grew up together. Every other year, for some time, I have been coming up with a great little idea that reminds her of our friendship and how much I value it. In the past this has meant giving her photographs in fancy frames, a locket, a bracelet that was engraved and a personalized cookbook.

Those items were all appreciated and pretty nice if I do say so myself. It seems that I was running out of these ideas though. To solve my crisis, I thought of something. I invited her to go Christmas shopping together. It was a great idea.

I was paying a lot of attention to the kinds of things that caught her eye as we walked around the mall. One thing I noticed was that she spent a long time looking at this one vendor who was in the store selling various gifts made of crystal. I had no idea she was that into the stuff. When I asked her about it, she told me that she had received some crystal as a wedding gift some years ago. Apparently she really like the stuff but had never looked into collecting more of it. The mall kiosk reminded her of it.

The light bulbs went off in my head. I figured that a nice crystal piece would make the perfect Christmas present for her. I ended up finding an elegant crystal vase that I thought was absolutely gorgeous. By the expression on her face, she must have agreed with me.

From now on I am going to take a similar approach when I have to come up with ideas for someone who is hard to buy for. This idea worked so well that I actually got three years' worth of ideas for Christmas gifts for her. Give it a try yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment